Wednesday, April 20, 2011
"The Tu-143 was introduced in 1976 and strongly resembled the Tu-141, but was substantially scaled-down. It was a short-range tactical reconnaissance system and had a low-level flight capability. It was truck-launched with RATO booster, recovered by parachute, and powered by a TR3-117 turbojet with 5.8 kN (590 kgf, 267 lbf) thrust. The initial version carried film cameras, but later versions carried a TV or radiation detection payload, with data relayed to a ground station over a datalink.
The Tu-143 was used by Syria in reconnaissance missions over Israel, as well as by Soviet forces in Afghanistan."
Tupolev TU-143 Reys:
* wingspan 2.24 m (7 ft 4 in)
* length 8.06 m (26 ft 5 in)
* height 1.54 m (5 ft 1 in)
* launch weight 1,230 kg (2,710 lb)
* maximum speed 950 km/h (515 kn, 590 mph)
* service ceiling 5,000 m (16,400 ft)
* range 200 km (110 nmi, 125 mi)
More at English Russia