Thursday, June 24, 2010
The Thunderbolt fiberglass kit has already flown once. However, it is not quite finished, not even in the build process. The coupler joint between two airframe sections was never quite square, and while it was fine recently on a big G motor, it is worth beefing up for H and above flights (and for hard recovery events.) To do this, I took a small sample section of 38mm airframe that giant leap sent a few years back. I used metal cutters to snip out a small section, and was happy to see that the ring did not shatter. It was a clean cut. This will be slipped over the airframe, with a nice tight fit, and epoxied in place right over the joint between airframes and around the upper rail guide. With this, the rocket should be pretty much bulletproof!