Sunday, March 21, 2010

High altitude balloon images from the Lower Hudson Valley






This was a flight to at least 90,000 feet by a team located north of New York City. Normally these high altitude balloons seem to be flown in some location in the country, flying over farms and a grid of rural routes and highways. In these flights, even with the curvature and dark sky, it is sometimes hard to get a feel for the altitude. But now, being able to see all of long island (about 120 miles long), one can better appreciate what 100,000 feet means. Note that the very beginning of Long Island to the west (right side) is Brooklyn and Queens, home to more than 4.5 million people and this rocketry blog. Yet I can cover it up with a finger in this picture.

Balloon Images

2 comments:

rocketry said...

Every time I see one of these balloon stories I think of how I should do this but as a rockoon. I'm sure I can light a motor a 100,000 feet.

R2K said...

I agree! Just to get an O motor (A Pro 150 O motor in a very light carbon fiber airframe with extra fins) launched at 100,000 feet = nearly space or space proper!