Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A nosecone is worth 1000 words

I had initially begun searching for images to include in my 97th annual Nosecone Parade (© ® ℗ ™ - Reg. Us. Pat. Off.) but instead I found that many of the new nosecone images were linked to new and interesting rocket stories.  As always, nosecones are the perfect embodiment of everything great in rocketry; the sure sign that a rocket is built to achieve great speeds and altitudes.  Here they are:


Environment Monitor, awaits installation and integration with the nose cone of UP Aerospace' SL-6 rocket. -NASA

 "A rocket launched by one of NASA’s Flight Opportunities Program suborbital launch providers, UP Aerospace of Denver, Colo., reached 385,000 feet altitude, or 73 miles high, during a flight that carried a small NASA payload April 5 at New Mexico’s Spaceport America. UP Aerospace' SpaceLoft 6 (SL-6) launch was a mission by the Operationally Responsive Space Office (ORS) of the Department of Defense, which had extra space available in the nose conesection of the vehicle for the NASA-developed payload, the Suborbital Flight Environment Monitor (SFEM). This enabled a risk reduction opportunity in preparation for the upcoming SpaceLoft-7 NASA mission in August 2012. The SFEM is being flown on many of the Flight Opportunities Program participating providers’ launch vehicles to study atmospheric conditions such as temperature that the payloads encounter in a suborbital environment."  Can they get a few more acronyms in there?!  (CTGAFMAIT)




"My long term project . . . .
As commemorations of the early space race era’s scientific history, I am planning to incorporate two rocket nose cones into future sculpture. I acquired a small nose cone that originally belonged to the University of Denver. I have not learned much about its history but know that U. of D. was doing plenty of upper atmospheric research during 1940′s and 50′s. My second and most interesting find is an Aerobee that I purchased via eBay and had shipped to my workplace. (Boy, did that generate alarm!)"

More from Aaron Ristau.



Making nosecones from plastic Champagne glasses:

"If you're like me, whenever I'm stuck shopping I always look for things that could be made into a rocket. Today I was at the Dollar Tree store. I walked past the Valentines Day junk and saw this plastic champagne flute. I'd read of others making nose cones from plastic glasses before but had never tried it myself. This looked like a good candidate for a nose cone..."

I don't want to give away the final nosecones just yet, be sure to continue reading at Model Rocket Building.



"Alamo Heights students unveil a 22-feet tall rocket that they built and which will be launched at White Sands Missile Testing Range in New Mexico next week. On Thursday, August 2, 2012, the 22 students showed off the rocket to the public. The students all took part in building the rocket in their Aero-Science class headed up by teacher Colin Lang. Their goal is to send the rocket up 100,000 feet at a speed of Mach 3." Photo: Kin Man Hui, SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS / ©2012 San Antonio Express-News

More at My SA.

No comments: