Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Confusing or simple? Vote in the comments.



Or vote any difficulty level in the spectrum from counting the sand grains on all the World's oceans, to blinking.

I ask because of this thread in the Rocketry Planet Forums. It is no new thing that I am involved in a debate against a few other people about a topic. Again, it was turned into a personal argument because for some reason rocketry makes some people really grumpy, and at the same time makes people like me happy. In any event, there are real questions in the thread that should be discussed. So to extend the discussion, I made this simple post. Do you find Aerotech directions, as included with motors (and particularly the delay section in this case) hard to use? Hard to read? Too confusing? Feedback would be interesting, any comments welcome!

7 comments:

Dmitriy said...

Looks pretty self explanatory and easy to follow

R2K said...

Thanks for the input. Anyone else?

Dick said...

Seems clear enough to me.

brianc said...

Yup. simple enough. 'Course I've assembled my share of these before I picked up a plugged closure.

Chrisn said...

I expected my first RMS reload to be more "complex" than it actually was... not the slightest bit of complexity in it at all, it can only go together one way and if you don't have any parts left over at the end... second or third reload you should know how to do it without the instructions, but need to look just for a reminder or to be sure

1 exploded view drawing is enough for me

lalligood said...

While I've assembled enough of these, I'll say that the diagram could be a lot more simple. That one is too complex & has every little item, nook, & cranny labeled. It's overwhelming when it doesn't need to be. In fact, a complete newbie might be inclined to think that he/she is going to be putting 3 different assemblies together at first glance...when that clearly isn't the case.

My first recommendation would be to make the diagram more horizontal (or rotate the images 90 degrees). Then making a single exploded view with the most important items labeled followed by a cutaway diagram of the completed assembly should be enough.

R2K said...

"In fact, a complete newbie might be inclined to think that he/she is going to be putting 3 different assemblies together at first glance"

Only if they have 3 cases...

I wont hide the fact that I think these are simple enough, at least for rocket science people who are more smarterer than the average American. I get what you are saying here, but seriously people cant tell that in directions you show the same item over and over again with new progress made as parts are added?