Sunday, October 19, 2008

Next cluster





This is a smaller rocket built from the same educators pack of simple kits. Of particular concern with this design is that there will be a large amount of pressure pushing the nose cones apart. This may result in a shred. Large amounts of glue should prevent this.

An interesting problem came up during work on this rocket: I have been using white glue as nose cone weight. I gave literally days for this glue to dry. After letting it dry, I finally put the cones into the rocket. After a few more days, I moved the rocket and found glue inside one tube! It turns out wet white glue is able to melt its way through dry glue like acidic alien blood. This was quite a shock, and called for some further work to bring the rocket back into shape. It can be salvaged, but for the future I must use epoxy.

This rocket will go well on motors from 1/2A up, even two D21s!

6 comments:

DTH Rocket said...

Ooo. Cool design. It reminds me of a rocket I saw on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUo8ix4rW8k

thimscool said...

Have you considered a multi-stage design, with this bag of goodies?

R2K said...

I have: Actually the last rocket in the set is basically just a 2x length rocket. This will be a multi stage rocket that will use "CHAD" staging: cheap and dirty. You tape booster motors to the stage above them. I think this rocket will only be a 2 stager, but it could possibly work with three. Maybe.

thimscool said...

Awesome vid, dth rocket.

Sascha said...

Epoxy works much better than white glue for nose weight. You can also drop a small fishing sinker in it if you need more weight.

R2K said...

Yes I normally use epoxy for my big rockets, but for a small rocket white glue is good enough. But obviously it never dries in a nosecone!